I am an RN working in Dialysis for seven years now. Currently I work full time in Peritoneal Dialysis(Home Therapies) and per diem in Hemodialysis- Chronic and Acutes. I offer Dialysis Options. Most of my time in Dialysis has been in Chronic(out Patient) Hemodialysis. I have been a Nurse for about 20 years and although my time in Dialysis has only been one 3rd of my Nursing career I have totally immersed myself into this science & can definitely see myself connected to Dialysis for the rest of my Nursing career and beyond.

Search Joe Dialyzer

Monday, April 27, 2009

Home Hemodialysis

Hemodialysis treatments preformed at home is not a new concept at all, in fact I have known some patients that were doing hemodialysis(HD) at home as early as the late 1970's. The home HD option has become more widely used. I am very encouraged about this because it is a perfect transition mode of treatment for people on Peritoneal Dialysis(PD that for a number of reasons can no longer continue PD.

I am very excited of late as I have on good information from Doctors and staff that a home HD program will be starting in my area (Rochester NY) using the Next Stage equipment! Enabling the former PD patient to continue dialyzing at home is great because these folks have been running their own show, for the most part doing their dialysis treatments around their own schedule and not that of an outpatient hemodialysis center. With the next stage machine patients can travel just as easily as they could when on PD as this system does not need a special water treatment for dialysis. Another great benefit of home HD is that the patient can do more frequent shorter treatments at home instead of long treatments three days a week. These shorter more frequent treatments are a much better dialysis process for the body because there are less fluid management problems (osmosis) and better control over the removal of toxins (diffusion). Again not as good but similar to PD where in most cases you are dialyzing 24/7.


In most home HD programs you must have a partner that is trained and will be with you for all treatments. Some home programs offer the option of doing the treatments at night and they are monitored by health care staff remotely. As a Dialysis Nurse it is a great thing that the option of Home Hemodialysis is increasing in availablity.

No comments: