I am an RN working in Dialysis for seven years now. Currently I work full time in Peritoneal Dialysis(Home Therapies) and per diem in Hemodialysis- Chronic and Acutes. I offer Dialysis Options. Most of my time in Dialysis has been in Chronic(out Patient) Hemodialysis. I have been a Nurse for about 20 years and although my time in Dialysis has only been one 3rd of my Nursing career I have totally immersed myself into this science & can definitely see myself connected to Dialysis for the rest of my Nursing career and beyond.

Search Joe Dialyzer

Monday, March 22, 2010

The Big Hole!!

How would health care reform help The Dialysis Patient?

The Medicare Part D doughnut hole will begin to be eliminated now under the Senate-passed reconciliation bill, saving patients thousands of dollars. Their brand-name drugs will be discounted 50 percent in 2011, and that savings will increase to 75 percent by 2020. Generic drugs would be equally discounted (although in some Medicare plans, there is no copay for generics.) In addition, they will receive a $250 federal rebate if they pay any money into the doughnut hole this year.
Comment/Opinion---- Not enough soon enough! This leaves Money and control in the hands of the Pharms for another decade!!! Hopefully one thing that is speculated is that this Bill is a framework that can be tweeked and changed with great strides in the short days, months ahead, Hopefully not to take many years to transpire!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to have gotten this info! Those of us with Chronic diseases really have to pay attention to health care, esp kidney disease, as on dialysis there are certain rules, then after a transplant they can change, esp for us young-uns! LOL

. said...

Yes, I went recently yo an NKF event and one of the speakers was a SW from the Transplant office @ URMC. Her main point was that as a recipient no matter your background the ongoing meds are usually the biggest issue/hardship.