I am an RN working in Dialysis for seven years now. Currently I work full time in Peritoneal Dialysis(Home Therapies) and per diem in Hemodialysis- Chronic and Acutes. I offer Dialysis Options. Most of my time in Dialysis has been in Chronic(out Patient) Hemodialysis. I have been a Nurse for about 20 years and although my time in Dialysis has only been one 3rd of my Nursing career I have totally immersed myself into this science & can definitely see myself connected to Dialysis for the rest of my Nursing career and beyond.

Search Joe Dialyzer

Monday, March 29, 2010

FMC- Patient Champion Series


I wanted to share some of these awesome human stories that FMC has shared with me.
Ronnie Glasper, a 38-year-old dialysis patient from Monroe, La., believes taking a proactive role in your health care is one of the keys to a successful life on dialysis. Ronnie has been on dialysis for two years because of kidney failure related to juvenile diabetes. He receives hemodialysis treatments at the Fresenius Medical Care Northeast Louisiana dialysis facility.
Every three days, when Ronnie arrives at the facility, he visits with the other patients, asking how they are doing and sharing information he has learned regarding kidney disease. He believes that, ultimately, your health is your own responsibility. He encourages dialysis patients to take an active role in their health care by asking questions, learning how the machines work, and understanding all of their dialysis needs. Currently, he’s a Network Patient Representative and has been nominated to be a member the Fresenius Medical Care Patient Advisory Board.
Beyond his support of fellow dialysis patients, Ronnie is an inspiration to children and adults through his work at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Louisiana. As a case manager, he matches children with mentors, who provide them with guidance and support. He also volunteers as a mentor. For Ronnie, having an activity he enjoys outside of dialysis is extremely important, and he advises other patients to find that outlet. Ronnie loves to read and research his family’s genealogy. That hobby takes him frequently to his hometown of Clayton, La., with the help of the Fresenius Medical Care Patient Travel Service.
Ronnie is currently on the waiting list for a kidney and pancreas transplant. His ultimate goals are to educate young people and give back to the community. That includes raising awareness about kidney health among adolescents.
 

No comments: