I am an RN working in Dialysis for seven years now. Currently I work full time in Peritoneal Dialysis(Home Therapies) and per diem in Hemodialysis- Chronic and Acutes. I offer Dialysis Options. Most of my time in Dialysis has been in Chronic(out Patient) Hemodialysis. I have been a Nurse for about 20 years and although my time in Dialysis has only been one 3rd of my Nursing career I have totally immersed myself into this science & can definitely see myself connected to Dialysis for the rest of my Nursing career and beyond.

Search Joe Dialyzer

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Patient Champion Series: I wanted to share some of these awesome human stories that FMC has shared with me.

Harvey Jones
Age 56 • Greensboro, N.C. • Featured on March 18, 2010

Dialysis Patient Uses Voice to Inspire Peers, Legislators           


After years on the road as a singer with Al Green, Mary J. Blige, Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald and many others, Harvey Jones wasn’t about to let kidney failure stop his momentum. Rather, he embraced his diagnosis and puts all his extra energy into helping other chronic kidney disease patients.

Since beginning dialysis in June 2001, Harvey continues to sing all over the United States, as well as internationally. Over the past 19 years, he has been on in-center hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and received a transplant which his body rejected after 8 years. Harvey is currently on in-center hemodialysis, and is on the kidney transplant waiting list.

Being on the road, traveling from one music venue to another makes it hard for Harvey to sit still. He owns a publishing company, enjoys reading and is also a minister. In order to keep physically fit, he walks two to three miles a day.

One of Harvey's most rewarding activities is his participation in an end stage renal disease (ESRD) patient support group in Greensboro, N.C., called the Dialysis Action Committee (D.A.C.). The D.A.C. is a nonprofit which provides patient support through celebrations and picnics, kidney disease screenings with the local National Kidney Foundation chapter, and meetings with local legislators about laws that impact the ESRD community.

Harvey receives a tremendous amount of support from his family. He has been happily married for 38 years and is a father of three. He also loves his local dialysis care team and facility, and says, “I wouldn’t dialyze anywhere other than Fresenius Medical Care.”

Harvey’s goal is to assist others living with ESRD and help them embrace their diagnosis, and remain optimistic and happy. “Attitude and laughter are part of the medicine needed to help you live with kidney failure," he says.

No comments: